This week I have finished the 1965 Bizzarini and I must admit I like it very much. We will have it in the mould in the next few days and in production soon after. It is surprising how many modifications had to be made to make this car from the 64 car.
One the car culling side the MGK3s are to be discontinued as, like a couple of models, the decals are running out. There are a few still in stock and only about six extra decal sheets to be put with kits.
It is good to get a bit of feedback of how we are doing and the direction we are going and maybe I need to think on what direction I should follow. Should my models be more scale or modified slot cars made for racing. At the moment I have been hoping to give a good compromise between the two, they are slot cars after all. First when I make a new prototype from scratch (not one of the modified plastic kits) I try to make a reasonably accurate representation of that car and fairly close to scale (while still being track appropriate). If we take the Chaparral 2D, Bizzarrini, Allard, Ferrari 801 and Maserati 250F, which are the newest of my scratch built models, I hope you would agree they are reasonably accurate representations of the real thing. As I hope is the case with all my prototypes. But here is where things can change, I do take some of my existing models and modify them. Usually in this case there is still a choice between the original model and a modified model. Take the Maserati 300S for instance, this model has been in production for quite a while now. Sales had all but died off so we needed to resurrect it in some way. So we modified it, lightening the body and lowering it slightly, we also saved some wait by giving it a vac formed interior which is faster and cheaper to produce. Also more of the detail was moulded onto the body (the difference in the number of parts for some of the older cars and the newer ones is astonishing). So now we have an updated Maserati 300S that goes much better on the track and in my view looks just as good. The only draw back really is a slightly less detailed interior/ driver. Some of the 300S also have engine detail and a detachable bonnet which looked superb, cant say it sold any better though. It was also bloody hard work to produce.
A couple of my models I have modified a lot more, but again after sales have slumped, but the original unmodified model has been kept in the range. Models such as the MGC, Anglia and McLaren M1A have been cut, widened and lowered so not only have we got the normal models but we have the modified ones as well. This is generally the case but sometimes, if the moulds for the original have died, we will let it rest then come back to it later to see if we can make any improvements with what we have learned in the meantime. If the decals/ moulds are running out, most of the times the cars will have been out for some time in any case.
This brings me on to my modified plastic models. Usually I have taken say a Revell body shell, there is not a lot of point in me keeping it as it is (that product has already been done). So I feel free to change it considerably to make my own product. This usually means cutting it in half and wacking a big lump in the middle and if I can lowering it. Take for example the McLaren M6A, if you want a more scalish model then you can buy the original. If you want a good slot car that also looks brill, buy my one so there is still the choice.
As far as interiors are concerned I tend to use vac forming now as opposed to resin moulded ones, there are various reasons for this. First, to make a pretty resin one takes time, some can take two days or more of full work, that is a lot. Then add the research to figure out what the interior looks like in the first place (lots of pics of the outside of a car, usually considerably less of the inside). On a sa